Dear Supporters and Allies,
We invite you to Bhopal to participate in the 30th anniversary activities, to re-affirm our solidarity to each other, and to connect and reconnect with activists from around the world. Thirty years is a long time for a struggle to be sustained but thanks to your support, the fight for justice in Bhopal is very much alive today.
This invitation is on behalf of the five organisations of survivors of 1984 Union Carbide disaster and their supporters in Bhopal. We have been working together for justice and a life of dignity for the survivors. Four of these organisations have been active ever since the disaster; the fifth organisation was begun by children of survivors six years ago.
Click here for a brief description of ICJB’s actions and achievements between 2010-2014.
Click here for a detailed itinerary of the anniversary events taking place in Bhopal and around the world.
With US corporations poised to play an unprecedented role in the country, the issues raised by the disaster in Bhopal 30 years back :– industrial safety, FDI and the legal obligations of foreign corporations, imports of hazardous technologies and materials and the political clout of corporations — are today more relevant than ever.
At this critical juncture, it is important to reassert that the struggle for justice in Bhopal is on and that it will intensify, and that the spirit of collective resistance to corporate globalisation has only strengthened over the years.
This anniversary’s activities will not only highlight the lingering issues of justice and rehabilitation in Bhopal, but also showcase the many possible alternatives that have emerged in the struggle for a toxic-free future.
Details for Your Trip
- The Vikalp Mela (Festival of Alternatives) will be held from 30 November to 2 December. You can book at 10 ft x 10 ft stall to display/sell literature, merchandise and showcase your work including particularly models of socially just and environmentally sustainable alternatives to current practices and systems. While the Mela will be attended by people from around the world, you can expect a large number of local people. We encourage you to present information using more of visual elements and text in Hindi (and Urdu) in addition to English. To book a stall, kindly contact Rachna Dhingra at the address below.
- Cultural Festival: The evenings of 30 November & 1 December will feature cultural events. We invite you to use the opportunity to present cultural events from your organisation. To present a cultural event, kindly let us know in advance with any specific requirements you may have. To book a performance slot, kindly contact Rachna Dhingra at the address below.
- Bring a Banner: Please collect signatures endorsing the 30th Anniversary demands on cloth banners with the name of your organization, in the language of your choice. Please bring the banner at the Anniversary rally on December 3 to highlight the strength and breadth of the solidarity for Bhopal.
- Food and Accommodation: While we have no resources to pay for your travel to and from Bhopal, we would be happy to provide you with basic accommodation and simple meals during your stay in Bhopal. To help us organise food and stay for you, kindly provide us with the following details:
- Date of Arrival
- Duration of Stay (Number of nights and dates)
- Number of people
- National Solidarity Meet: A National Solidarity Meet will be held between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. on 2 December to enable participants from different parts of India and the world to get to know each other and their work, and build new relationships. If you wish to speak at the National Solidarity Meet, kindly contact Rachna Dhingra at the address below.
Contact: Email: Rachna Dhingra: email@example.com,
Cell: 9826167369 (India)
Address: C/o 44 Sant Kanwar Ram Nagar, Berasia Road, Bhopal, MP 462038