200 ill after inhaling toxic gas in Bhopal

IBN News, October 15, 2006
bhopla_leak.jpg
Nearly 150 people were sent for treatment to a Bhopal hospital where their condition was declared stable.
Bhopal: At least 200 people were taken ill in villages along the borders of Bhopal and Raisen districts in Madhya Pradesh after inhaling an unknown toxic gas.
“Around 200 people in Kirat Nagar, Mendua and Nayapara Tola villages complained of vomiting and burning sensation in their eyes while some of them fell unconscious after inhaling gas that emanated from an unidentified source,” District Collector Arun Bhat said.
Nearly 150 people were sent for treatment to a Bhopal hospital where their condition was declared stable.
The mishap was reportedly caused by a gas leak from a plant in the nearby industrial area.
Police vehicles were immediately pressed into service to transfer the affected people to nearby hospitals. Meanwhile, the three affected villages have been evacuated as a precautionary measure.
The administration has started running checks on the factories and a team of doctors and environment experts has also rushed to the spot.
(With inputs from PTI)

Facebooktwitteryoutubemail

Share this:

Facebooktwitterredditmail

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.